Sunday, September 19, 2010

When you have more than one blog post in a row it starts looking like you have no life...but seriously, we are really slacking here you guys. I know some of you have some phenomonal race results that you're just dying to share....am I right? Don't be shy now.

Since I have no problem rambling about anything, no matter how pointless, I will start by saying, "HOORAY for cross country season!" That's where it's at. If cross country could go on year round, that would be fine by me. None of that round oval track nonsense--that stuff is for the birds (or more like those with actual leg-speed. I've always been a little jealous of those folks.). Anyhow, on that note there have been a couple lower key collegiate XC races here in town over the last couple of weeks, both of which were generous enough to let unattached folks in. First was the 3rd annual aptly named UCCS "Rust-Buster" Invite a couple of weekends back. That one was a 6k that wound its way through Monument Valley Park. It went well, I felt good, and it was good to see everyone and get to see all of the current UCCS runners, a lot of new faces, and plenty of alumni as well. A good time for sure.

Last Saturday, Colorado College hosted its Tiger Invitational. That one was another 6k in Monument Valley Park (I really like racing there...) but a slightly different course. That one went alright as well. I finished behind Steph Bylander, who won the show. That one was a bit different in that they combined the college and open races and it was fun to mix it up. I almost felt like I was re-living the glory days, just like the Bruce Springsteen song. So next up is the Boulder Shootout up at CU in a couple weeks, I am a bit nervous for that one. But what else is new.

As an aside, I am in the process of figuring out a good running goal. I realized the other day that I'm almost at the quarter century mark of life, and since a person's athletic ability dwindles quickly with time then I have to figure out what to do with what time is left! There is a lot of urgency here. I don't particularly want to be a marathoner, for some reason that race hasn't ever appealed to me, I don't really like the track that much but will do some of that this spring for PR-ing's sake, cross country is unfortunately far less popular than it would be if I was in charge of everything (which I am not), I really like road racing but don't know what distance to focus on, and I think I need to do a couple trail/mountain races to figure out if I have a niche there because I've never tried it. I guess I will just do some of everything till I figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment