Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Final Countdown

It's quiet. Too quiet.

It's coming down to the wire: Club XC is only two weeks away and on that day, we've got a lot of race to rock. It's going to be epic. So epic it will be earth-shattering. So epic that Chris Lear will write a book about it. So epic that the heavens will part and the angels will sing. So epic that Bruce Springsteen will write a song about it. Epic. It's high time that we earn back our trophy of the partly legless 'roided up runner chick with the absurd pectorals, and the guys too of course.

The team sounds ridiculously fit and ready to represent, this was evidenced moreso by everyone's Turkey Trot races a couple of days ago. Congrats to all who raced. I got to shake off a little rust down in Springs at the Briargate 5k Turkey Trot. It's a great little hilly course with loads of participants this year and beautful weather. Having really only been training pretty solidly--complete with actual workouts--for about the last three weeks due to a bit of a rough patch, I hadn't raced since Pearl Street last August, so was a little iffy going in, with the intention of treating the race as a workout, but came away with a win in 18:00 and felt very in control the whole way and rebounded quickly. Adam took the men's win so it was a good day for BRC/adidas. While my time was nothing to write home about it was nonetheless encouraging and was the perfect tune up and I was really pleased. Not to mention it's easy to be relaxed going into a race when it's a lot of fun to be there and it was great seeing everyone and being back in Springs as I really miss it. Once upon a time I wouldn't have dreamed of jumping into a race feeling so unprepared and compulsively would have needed everything to be 100% in order, but if you're always waiting for everything to feel perfect and for the stars to align for you, you'll never do anything and will miss out on some good times and who knows? Maybe even your best day. So take advantage of opportunities that pop up along the way since really, who regrets ever really trying something even if the outcome wasn't perfect?

My co-worker (and Broomfield H.S. coach) Greg Weich explained to me one day, "You know, I race really well when I just don't give a s**t. I had the best race of my life when I was up at 3 a.m. the night before eating sesame chicken." Now I wouldn't say I ever "don't give a s**t" but I catch his drift and it's true.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving as there is always lots to be thankful for. Next up: CLUB CROSS. See you on the other side.

Adam and Me post-race at the Briargate Turkey Trot

No comments:

Post a Comment