Friday, January 29, 2010

Sick of sick

Three weeks ago I had a great week of training as I continue my Boston buildup. I hit 117 miles with a 21 mile long run and one light workout. On Sunday morning that week I woke up with a scratchy throat, but tossed Morgan in the baby jogger and headed out for an easy 10M to cap off the week. Unfortunately, I spent the rest of the day on the couch with a fever while the baby abused me with her toy hammer. Over the next week I had a fever, headache, upset stomach, weakness, you name it and eventually broke down and went to the doc to find out I had at least strep throat, bronchitis, and a sinus infection (yeah!). I missed two days of work that week (I've only taken one sick day in 3+ years previously) and only managed a miserable 46 miles of running.

Last week I felt relatively better, but still not well. I muscled my way through 100 miles of running and by the end of the week convinced myself I was well enough to toe the line in the 5000m at the Mines indoor meet. Big mistake. It took me about a mile and a half to realize I didn't have my strength back and by two miles I peeled off the track and went for an easy jog.

Finally this week I've been able to resume my schedule (though pushed back a couple weeks in workouts). Early in the week I still had a cough, but have had two solid workouts and a whole pile miles. I'm at 108 miles for the week right now with the weekend still to go and feeling the best I've felt in a couple months.

I think the last time I had a cold was last April. Now hopefully I can start another 8+ month streak of being virus free.

No comments:

Post a Comment