Saturday, January 30, 2010

Stop signs and cars

So I was running this morning and when I started to cross an intersection that had a stop sign for cross traffic, there was a typical person who sped up on the cross street to try and beat me out from crossing first. I thought what an idiot I am already 1/3 of the way across the street and I have a florescent yellow jacket on (how could you not see me???). So I kept going then looked over and realized that the car's hood was unlatched and could fly up. I raised my hand up for him to stop, which he almost didn't do and he then gave me that "I don't care about you but I see you and am going to stop" look that I am sure any runner has seen before. I went to the front of his car and grabbed the hood, which got him pretty startled. Before he could even open the door or roll down the window and yell at me I had the hood opened then closed all the way and I was moving back down the street.

I would have to say that the guys mood seemed to shift from an unpleasant "I don't want to stop for you" to a very nice "you just saved my arse" and I will stop and say thanks as I go by. So I feel as though I have done my good deed for the day and in the mean time I hope to have changed at least one person's opinion about being a little more courteous to runners.

No comments:

Post a Comment