Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Why you shouldn't study...

I haven't updated in awhile because not much is happening with me as far as running goes unfortunately. Things were on track and then bam, two weeks ago I pulled another muscle. This time I have had a really hard time getting back on track, BUT the good news is I think I finally figured out why in May I suddenly got a hamstring injury and then haven't really been able to run since.

You see, I was studying...a lot. I had a big board exam that I had to pass so I could get licensed and finally start a real career. My days were full of runs and then sitting in a chair or on my couch in front of a computer and a text book for hours at a time. That lead to some lower back issues that I think probably aggravated everything and also probably increased my propensity to keep hurting that left leg. Last week at a very low point, I couldn't sleep because of radiating pain down the back of my left leg, my left hip and my left lower back. I was stumped and starting to really worry that I had a bigger issue than we suspected, like maybe a stress fracture or a tear either in my hip area or near the hamstring and/or adductor attachments. However, with a few lower back exercises the radiating pain stopped and I got some major relief.

So, now I am biding my time...doing a little jogging, some walking, lots of PT exercises and some climbing. We'll see what happens in the coming weeks. My hope is that by this time next week I will be running without feeling nerve pain on the left side, without my foot strike feeling off and with some bounce in my step! If that happens, well then my next goal is to get back to some shorter racing, hopefully by the middle of August.

No comments:

Post a Comment