Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Olympic Trials Qualifier!

I raced at Gary Bjorklund 1/2 marathon 2 weeks ago and was able to hit a big PR and qualify for the long time goal of qualifying for the Olympic Trials. I was a extremely cool experiences when I went to Duluth, Minnesota try and catch the standard. The morning of the race was raining and pretty chilly with what was going to be an good tail wind all the way in to Duluth. Which I knew were prefect conditions to have a shot at running 1.05 or under.

When the gun shot off I went out with the top guys knowing that if i was in the front i would be able to sore out pretty easy who was going to work together to hit 1.05 and under. after about 800 meters it was pretty clear that the lead pack was going much faster then I fancied which was like 4.30ish (I went through at about 4.48). shortly after that a group of about 14 Americans formed that were trying to run the standard. I was in front leading the group through about 9 or 10 miles and I believe we were about 49.24. That was about the time everyone pretty much started to pull away or fall off. I kept it pretty even and felt good but didn't want to make any big moves and keep from blowing up the last couple of miles. I kept holding on and went through the last mile marker and checked my watch for the first time to see where I was and how fast I needed to go to stay on pace. I knew I was close, but I didn't know how close I was until I hit the final turn. I looked up and it still said 1.04 low and I didn't know if I could make it in time to go under 1.05. I put everything I had into the last meters trying catch every second I could. I finished looking up at the clock that said 1.04.58, but there were a lot of questions I was asking my self after that. I didn't know which timing pad my foot crossed with the timing chip, when it crossed, which foot had the chip on it, or the big clock was right or if it was a couple of seconds off. All those things were going though my head and I was just hoping... just hoping that i was lucky enough to do it.

Luckily my former roommate Nate Jenkins and a old missouri friend Adam McDowell was there and is a super awesome guys to calm me down a little bit. when we finished cooling down I went strait the to computer to see my time and... 1.05.02 :( I was kind of bummed but at the same time i PR by over a min. and I know have a new coach! I wasn't on dead end street. I am really close and with the right direction I will completely rock out the next race for a qualifier. Nate and I where hanging out and I called some of my friends and family to let them know the good news of the race, but the small let down of being 2 seconds off. I was saying the results are not official yet and the could change, but I didn't think anything would change. All during the day I kept asking Nate, "do you think they will change the results?" I would again agree and also say, "yeah, i know it's very unlikely." I checked for like the 10th time and I said 1.05.00! I asked Nate if that put's me in or not? we checked USATF race entry and there is another guy that qualified with a 1.05.00 which means i'm in!!!! Nate and I jumped around, hugged, then we talked about how special it is to go, compete at the trials, his 7th place finish last time and how there is nothing like it to run in the race. First race I have ever hit a standard that I was training for and wanted so bad to get. It is one of those unforgettable moments I will always have.

Enjoy the dreams that come true, because time doesn't stop and you might not get another chance.

Thanks for all you the facebook messages, text, and phone calls.

Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment