Thursday, February 24, 2011

Peripity

About once every week I'm forced to ask myself, "Does life imitate art or does art imitate life?"  Generally, I tend to side with former but some moments in life can make you stop to reconsider.  I recently went over the concept of peripity--the literary concept of a character going from the highest high to the lowest low or vice versa--only to have it play out in my training.  Since the middle of December I've had my sights set on the Gate River Run 15k  (Jacksonville, March 11).  Although I've been injury-free my training had been so-so until last week.  Last week, I managed to get in a surprisingly good track work out and tempo run (both efforts surpassing my expectations).  After the tempo run on Saturday I uttered the damning phrase, "It looks like I'm fit and I'll have smooth sailing until Jacksonville!"  I went for an easy 50 minutes in the afternoon, only to wake up on Sunday feeling like I had just been trampled by a herd of manic elephants.  Since I uttered that cursed phrase I've only managed to get in three runs in five days.  I would say that there is good news, but I don't want to jinx myself.  I just hope that I can get through my tempo tomorrow and on to Jacksonville in one piece!          

No comments:

Post a Comment