Friday, April 8, 2011

Mt. Sac--Here we come!

I've been meaning to post for awhile now but I haven't had much to say.  Since my last post in which I claimed that I was feeling better (I was in the hospital two days later) I been trying to get back to normal (pneumonia sucks!).

Though I still went to Jacksonville, I merely went in the capacity of a spectator.  It was exciting to hang with the large BRC contingent and watch you guys race so well but it was also very surreal to spectate rather than participate (although I didn't mind partaking in the post-race festivities).  It is always motivational to see a group of athletes with full-time jobs, compete with and beat a number purely full-time athletes.  I definitely had a bit more pep in my step when I got to Alamosa.

Now it's on to Mt. Sac.  I began this year with the goal of proving to myself that my fastest days aren't behind me.  Although spending a stretch in the hospital probably didn't improve my prospects, I've been feeling sharper and stronger than I have in years.  With less than a week to go, I'm fresh off of 120 miles of spring break training.  I don't know if I'll be able to PR, but I've at least proven to myself that I'm physically capable of running the workouts that I ran when I did PR.  I guess that's something, right?

For those of you who read this post who are of my ilk (about 30 with a car seat(s) and/or a mortgage) I guess we should all take heart in the fact that in many ways we cheating the system.  How many of you actually believed that you would still be "competing"in any athletic endeavor at this point of your life when you were in high school or college?  I know I certainly didn't.

Good luck to those of you running Mt. Sac.        

No comments:

Post a Comment