Sunday, January 31, 2010

Better Believe It!!!!


Hey everyone! I hope everyone is having a good 4th quarter winter training sessions! It's been a very strange indoor season for me so far. I had took 7 days off which had started Jan. 1st. During that, I started living a comfortable life. By comfortable, I mean having to live a "normal" life. I tell ya, when I decided to come back from those days off, I had the mindset that Indoor season was just going to be a mess, I wasn't motivated to do much. But I jumped back into training quite fast. I was doing workouts that were hard, but felt comfortable doing them. I then asked coach Martin what he thought I should do as far as the season went. He told me, "the sooner you race, the better". So i took his advice!

University of New Mexico(UNM) has been hosting plenty of races, which I have taken advantage of. My first race of the indoor season was last saturday(23rd). I jumped into the mile. I went in the race with a mentality of... just compete. Sometimes people get caught up with, "I need to run this fast halfway", or" I better slow down". I had forget all about competing. I went out there just to compete. I went out really sluggish through the 800 (2:07). The leader had a 4 second lead on me halfway, I had to put in good work to catch him. It came down to the last 50 meters. I passed him with around 30m to go. but he came back on my shoulder and just nipped me! 4:10.31 for him and 4:10.35 for me! Too close. but nonetheless it converts to 4:04-4:05. I figured it wasn't bad considering how I ran it.

I hope everybody ends up reading my whole thread being that it might be a long story!

Ok so this past weekend was also a situation where I just listened to coach Martin. I was considering running the mile at UNM being that rumors where that Rupp was going to try and run a fast mile there. That was my mindset earlier in the week. But I felt really tired and really not in the mood to race again the following week, being that I had just raced and had a very long weekend. So I go to coach and ask him... "coach, what do you think I should do this weekend? Should I compete, and if I decide to, what race"? He thought about it and told me "you should run the 3k". "They are going to pace the race to make it go fast". My first reaction was... Holy Sh!t!!!! I don't feel ready for it!! But I told him that I would do it.

Race day comes and the field was pretty solid. you had Patrick Smyth, Ben Bruce, Kyle Miller, Darren Brown, Adam Perkins, Rory Frasier, all these D1 studs. But I didn't even think about how good they are or what they have done. I thought to myself, "if they can do it, why not me"?

Off we go! I stayed around 5th for most of the race. Don't really know what we went through half, but I felt really relaxed. I covered all the moves. The only mistake was not staying close enough to the two guys in the front. Anywho, I ended up 4th overall behind Rory Frasier(UNM kid), Patrick Smyth, and Ben Bruce. 2 seconds separate the 4 of us. I ended up running 8:10.44. Which converts to 7:58.something. I thought to myself.... This season might not be a mess after all!!!! lol. I know I have more me.

I am working on getting into the Meyo Invitational mile race this following week. I should find out tomorrow if they let me in. I might have to pace the 3k but I'll do it for a shot at my first sub 4!


After that, the following week I will go to Seattle for a 3k. I know, I know, I'm quite the whore on the track! But I want to have 2 qualifiers for USA Indoor Championships. Sucks that they don't allow altitude conversions.


I will keep everyone posted to see what the deal is with my following race!


Good luck to all in your upcoming races! Stay Positive and most of all...

Enjoy what you do! Don't Force it!

No comments:

Post a Comment