Sunday, April 17, 2011

Comeback Conundrum

So, I have this theory which is completely based on antecdotal evidence, and I have no hard proof of which is that when on the comeback trail one must encounter a number of ridiculous setbacks. Now, I don't have any spreadsheets tracking data versus a control group or anything like that. But what I do have is a history of this phenomenon happening to me and my running buddies. Is it a conspiracy or just Murphy's law? Whatever it is is maddening. What else can explain one buddy recovering from a marathon and just when she starts training, she gets hit by a car? Or, any number of perfectly healthy and rested runners get injured within the first few weeks of coming back? For me it's usually some sort of cold or the occasional injury. This last time I swallowed a pill wrong. Yes, you read that correctly - I swallowed a pill wrong! Well it was an antibiotic and it burned my esophagus. I had never heard of such a thing, but it was awful! Swallowing anything except for water was excruciating! Just what a runner on a comeback needs - to not be able to eat for a whole week. By the end of that week, I was so tired I could hardly stand let alone run. But, just when I thought I was going to have to go back on break, I tried some pancakes and with little tiny bites I could eat! Yay! So, from that point on, my esophagus started getting better, and I starting eating and training. I was so happy because who knows what curveball would have come my way if I had to come back from another break? So, I'm happy to say that I pulled through and I should be in the clear now. . . Until the next break.

No comments:

Post a Comment