Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Another first for me

At least once a month I have a new first in running. Anything from gear to workouts. For those of you that don't know me I am new to this whole running thing. I played volleyball in high school and college and dreaded the stupid one mile time trial at the beginning of every season. I started running on the treadmill and in a few races after having my kids but (being a crazy competitive person) I decided to get serious after the 2009 Bolder Boulder. Yes there are some days I wonder what the he** was I thinking this hurts! But for the most part running has given me so much more than I could ever say. I've made life long friends, done things I didn't even know my body was capable of, joined an awesome supportive team and gone fun places for races. 2010 was a year I will probably never be able to duplicate. I pr'd in every distance from the 5k to 10 miles, granted some of the races were my first at the distance but a pr is a pr :) 2011 started off well with my 2nd attempt at the half. Which was a pr, but that's not saying too much as I totally bonked last year!

Well this week is one of those what the he** was I thinking. In the constant pursuit of a pr I was convinced that I should jump on the track this spring to better my 5 and 10k times. Which sounded great, of course I am always up for a new challenge. UNTIL my coach told me I would be doing a 5k indoors! Are you kidding me 19 laps........... I know for a lot of you track people this is no big deal but I am having flash backs of the one season I ran track in high school. I only had to do the 400, one stinken lap, and I HATED it. Talk about torture, 19 of these little laps staring at the same girls butt for hopefully 17 minutes. Which is another thing I am not enjoying getting my head around. You want me to go to a higher elevation in a time of the year that I am not exactly at top speed, run a crap load of laps all to end up with a time I am going to be so disappointed in I probably won't want to tell anyone. Not to mention my whole family is in Colorado Springs so they will all come to the AFA to watch me race. Which normally I would love but did I mention I am not fast right now and I am not thrilled about this whole lap business. Oh and did I mention I JUST turned 32 so there is nothing like running against a bunch of 18-20 somethings to make you feel like an old lady. Ok enough complaining!!! I know there is a method to this whole madness I'm just not seeing it with this race coming up this weekend.

Good news is I got in a great speed workout yesterday which gave me a little confidence going into the race this weekend. Bad news is I have 12x400 tomorrow which will probably end up being on the dreadmill. Unfortunatly the tracks won't be cleared, the roads will be icy, we don't have a good indoor track and I need to go fast. So once again I will be the crazy lady everyone looks at as they walk by. You know the one that has the treadmill up to top speed for 75 seconds than walks for a minute and does it all over again 12 times. Unfortunatly I have to agree with them this whole running thing has made me a bit crazy!

Here is to hoping I survive this whole indoor track business this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment