Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Indoor Mile, here I come


It has been a couple weeks since I've posted and the great news is: we got a dog, Chubbs! He is a 2 year old Australian Cattle Dog Mix and very well behaved/trained. The name makes me laugh because he is skinny, very active, and we were told he needs to gain 5 pounds. He loves to play, run, and say hello to every person and dog we see. Right now he is our "velcro" dog...he can't go anywhere without us. I can't wait to get him trained to run daily.
Anyway, back to my running....I've had some great workouts and runs, lets see what I can remember. Last week I had a tempo/interval, circuits, and hills. The 3x15 minute tempo went really well and I surprised myself with the paces I held, but I didn't plan very well so the last 8.5 minutes of the last rep was uphill. Luckily I pushed through and made it, but I think I was nearly crawling home for the cool down. Circuits were fine, but I got really annoyed with the people at the gym on the indoor track. There seems to be a lack of track etiquette. Friday was hills, 20x300m, which went extremely well. 20 reps seemed like it was going to be lifetime, but I got competitive with people walking their dogs, cars driving by, and my watch. Like Kara, I get competitive with dumb things and for the wrong reason. Do the dog walkers really care that I can beat them up the hill? Do I really think I will beat a car to the next lamp post? I guess whatever it takes to run faster :-) I averaged 58-59 sec, so not too shabby.


Sunday we ran our long run at Greenland Open Space just south of Larkspur with Jay, Ashley, and Brian. It was our first time there and it was quite beautiful. The trail winds through the meadow and over hills. It is very open so on a windy or hot day it may not be the best place to run a long run. It is amazing that on January 17th, shorts and a t-shirt were all that were needed. Where's the snow? I need some snow for snowshoeing.


This week is a lighter week with workouts since I'm racing the indoor mile on Saturday at School of Mines. I'm not going to lie, I'm a bit nervous. Its been 3 years since I've been on the indoor track and I'm not really a miler. It may take me the first 4 laps to re-learn how to run indoors and remembering not to get comfortable (this may feel like a sprint for me). Or maybe it will be like riding a bicycle...you never forget how to do it. Hopefully I will not completely embarrass myself and get a good workout in. It will be fun and I have no expectations, except to give it all I got. If it goes extremely well then I may consider a 3k at one of the last chance meets (I do love the 3k). I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment